SDG-F Joint Programmes application process
Agenda 2030: Sustainable Development Goals
The Sustainable Development Goals Fund (SDG-F) is a development cooperation mechanism created in 2014 by UNDP, on behalf of the UN system with an initial contribution by the Government of Spain. The SDG-F supports sustainable development activities through integrated and multidimensional joint programmes. It builds on the experience, knowledge, lessons learned and best practices of the MDG Achievement Fund (2007-2013), which supported 130 joint programmes in 50 countries, while expanding its activities towards sustainable development, a greater focus on public-private partnerships and updating its operational framework to incorporate recent advancements in development (Busan Partnership for Effective Development Co-operation and the discussions on the Post-2015 Development Agenda). Gender and women’s empowerment is a cross-cutting priority in all our areas of work.
SDG-F Monitoring Platform
The monitoring platform has been designed as an online repository of all official documents relating to the SDG-F joint programmes to assist teams with knowledge management within their joint programmes and also help improve knowledge management across the Fund. Joint programme teams will be able to access all documents, including their project document, work plans, press release and monitoring reports etc. on the online platform.
Online submission allows greater transparency, easy access to information, official documents and tracking of progress for all programme stakeholders and for easier aggregation of data at the Secretariat level.
SDG-F Monitoring Report
The online platform allows for the electronic submission of the monitoring reports which are due on a six-monthly basis.
You can find the word version of the monitoring report here. This is for reference only. It may be useful to compile and complete all the information in the word template beforehand. However, all submissions should be made on the online platform.
If you have any queries about the reporting, please contact Catherine.Wong@undp.org.
Note: there is a save button at the bottom of each page, do make sure you press save after completing each section to avoid loss of data.
SDG-F Application Guidelines
The SDG-F operates at the country level through joint programmes implemented through specialized UN Agencies in collaboration with national counterparts to craft multidimensional, integrated and holistic approaches to national and local development challenges. Only UN Agencies can submit programme proposals. Individual organizations and other national institutions are not eligible for direct funding.
UN Resident Coordinators from the 20 eligible countries were invited in May 2014 to submit joint programme proposals in the areas of inclusive economic growth for poverty eradication, food security, and water and sanitation. Only UN Resident Coordinators, on behalf of the UN Agencies participating in the programme and having ensured that national counterparts and civil society organizations have participated in the JP design process, can submit proposals.
The application process consists of two rounds:
- The first round involves the submission of a concept note (CN) that will be assessed by a panel of experts based on the overall quality and results‐oriented nature of the proposed initiative as well as on its adherence to the guidelines. The deadline for submission of concept note applications was 16 June 2014, 23:59 EST (CLOSED).
- The second round includes the presentation of full proposals, in the form of a joint programme document based on the concept notes that were successful in the first round. Formulation teams are expected to work closely with the SDG-F Secretariat to incorporate technical feedback and to ensure high standards of programme design and rigorous plans for Monitoring and Evaluation in the final Joint Programme Document. The deadline for submission of JP full-fledged proposals was 15 September 2014, 23:59 EST (CLOSED).
All applications should be submitted online. The SDG-F Secretariat will not accept applications submitted via e-mail, regular post and/or facsimile. Applications can be uploaded online through this online submission system. Each eligible Resident Coordinator Office received a user name and password to log in and upload all the documentation required at this stage.
While application forms are only available in English, country offices can opt to fill out the JP Concept Note, Joint Programme Document and other forms in Spanish.
For full details about the application process, please see the following documents:
- SDG-F Terms of Reference and Guidance
- Concept note - form
- Joint Programme Results Framework Matrix - form
- Joint Programme Work Plan and Budget – form
- Joint Programme Document (Formulation Phase) – form
- Risk Analysis Matrix (Formulation Phase) - form
- Integrated Monitoring and Evaluation Research Framework (Formulation Phase) – form
- Performance Monitoring Framework (Formulation Phase) – form
UN offices and national partners elaborating joint programme proposals are encouraged to consult a list of additional resources, in addition to guidelines provided by UN DOCO and the MDG-F’s online library and knowledge management platform.
The SDG-F Steering Committee, taking into account the independent experts reviews and the alignment of the different proposals with the “SDG-F Terms of Reference and Guidance for Joint Programme Formulation” decided to approve joint programmes in 21 countries.